Dr. Hisham Shalaby
Foot & Ankle and Limb Reconstruction Surgery
My two main areas of sub-specialty are:
Foot and Ankle Surgery including:
Bunion surgery, big toe fusion and replacement, toe deformity corrections, surgery for the painful forefoot, Ankle, Hind & Midfoot reconstruction & fusions, tendon & ligament reconstruction, planter fascia surgery, ankle fusion, ankle arthroscopy, ankle replacement, ankle instability surgery and Rheumatoid foot surgery.
Limb Reconstruction including:
The use of circular & Ilizarov frames for correction of complex foot deformities, Limb Lengthening, reconstruction of large bony defects, management of bone infections, infected non-unions, malunions, biological reconstructions and complex congenital deformities.
I trained in three major Orthopaedic Units in Cairo, Edinburgh and Liverpool. I finished an MD thesis on “Correction of Complex Foot & Ankle Deformities”. I finished an advanced deformity correction fellowship in Liverpool and a Trauma fellowship in Nottingham. I finished the Amsterdam Ankle Arthroscopy course.
I now master the full spectrum of foot and ankle pathologies, including all recent techniques as the Scarf / Akin osteotomies for bunion correction, ankle arthroscopy, endoscopic planter fascia release, ankle replacement, gradual correction of ankle and foot deformity, ankle joint distraction for early arthritis and more. I have a special interest in correction of flat foot and pathological high arch.
I also have a wide experience in all limb reconstruction tools including the Ilizarov frame, the Taylor Spatial frame, the Sheffield Hybrid fixator, the Orthofix LRS monolateral fixators, and Intramedullary lengthening nails. I have a special interest in correction of complex foot deformities.
Education and Training
- MB. BCh. Degree, Ain Shams University – Cairo 1996
- Orthopaedic Residency, Ain Shams University – Cairo
- MSc (Orth) part I. 1999
- MSC (Orth & Trauma) part II. 2001
- Senior House Officer – Aberystwyth – Wales
- Specialist Registrar – Edinburgh
- PhD Thesis (Correction of Complex Foot Deformity) – 2005
- MD Degree in Trauma & Orthopaedics – 2006
- FRCS Orth Exam – 2006
- Ilizarov & Limb reconstruction Fellowship – Royal Liverpool & Alder Hey Hospitals – Liverpool
- Trauma Fellowship – Queen’s Medical Centre – Nottingham
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Ain Shams University
- Consultant Foot & Ankle and Limb reconstruction Surgeon – Edinburgh 2009 – till now
- Royal Collage of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (BOFAS)
- British Limb Reconstruction Society (BLRS)
- The World Orthopaedic Organisation (SICOT)
- Association for Study & Application of Methods of Ilizarov (ASAMI International)